American Conservation Experience, a Nonprofit Conservation Corps, in partnership with the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service is seeking ONE Visitor Services - Deepening Community Connections with Nature Intern to advance the Unified Region 5 National Wildlife Refuge System Urban Wildlife Conservation Program efforts of developing a more connected conservation community. The overall project will help establish community connections and allow increased outdoor recreation opportunities while providing communities with culturally relevant programs. The Urban Wildlife Conservation Program focuses on engaging diverse communities in nature-based experiences in cities across the country.
Applicants must have a degree (or be pursuing a degree) in the following field of study: education/outreach including visitor services/interpretation, environmental education, community outreach, or communications; social sciences/humanities including human dimensions, community development, geography, environmental philosophy, or ecology and society; biological sciences including conservation biology or natural resource management; or other closely related field.
- Knowledge of natural sciences
- Ability to work independently as well as part of small teams
- Desire to work with children and diverse audiences in an Urban Refuge setting
- Writing skills with an understanding of basic grammar, punctuation, and spelling
- Attention to detail
- Ability to effectively communicate with supervisor, coworkers, FWS partners and audiences (groups and one-on-one) of various ages
- Ability to work in very hot, dry, and changing weather conditions
- Willing to work varying hours including before sunrise or at night
- Ability and willingness to work self-directed and, at times, alone at off-refuge meetings or events.
- Ability to record accurate field data
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office software
- Basic tool skills, to set up and facilitate interpretative displays
- Ability and willingness to undergo a Federal criminal background check
- Must have a valid driver's license, be 21 years of age to drive a vehicle, provide documentation of a clean driving record, and have a personal vehicle (required)
- Must take all measures possible to ensure the safety of yourself and others and understand all safety precautions involved
- Must represent ACE/FWS professionally at all times and properly wear uniform components
More information can be found at the following website: https://usaconservation.applicantpool.com/jobs/374508.html
Please submit a thoughtful resume, cover letter, and transcript (required), along with 3 professional references using the APPLY NOW section located on the upper right hand corner of the position listing on our website here: https://usaconservationepic.applicantpool.com/jobs/