The Stewardship Crew Leader will work with three Stewardship Interns to implement projects along the Northern Forest Canoe Trail. The Stewardship Crew Leader will be responsible for overseeing crew operations, ensuring adherence to safety guidelines, and working with interns and volunteers to complete river access, campsites, and portage trails projects.
As the only dedicated water trail crew in the Northeast, NFCT’s stewardship crew specializes in projects at the interface of land and water, including campsites, portage trails, and access points. We work with partners to implement projects along the NFCT and throughout adjacent waterways of the Northern Forest. Drawing on our extensive experience working in challenging, ecologically sensitive, and often remote environments, our crew implements practices that are flexible, durable, and innovative.
• Prior trail crew experience; competence in both timber and stone construction techniques.
• Strong outdoor skills; ability to live and work in remote settings
• Experience operating various types of equipment, including chainsaws and power tools
• Experience working in a team environment
• Confidence with flatwater paddling
• Enthusiasm for physical work and outdoor living
• Valid driver's license
• Prior Wilderness First Aid or Wilderness First Responder Certification
• Prior trail crew leader experience
• Experience leading and instructing others in a field setting
• Experience working with volunteers
• Chainsaw certification
• College degree in applicable field
Note: this is a roving, field-based position. The crew camps at rotating project sites. To accommodate volunteers, the crew typically works a Wednesday-Sunday schedule. During days off, the crew typically explores the unique recreational oportunities the region offers.
Food, housing, mileage reimbursement
Send cover letter and resume to Noah Pollock at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please include your name followed by “Stewardship Crew Leader Ap” in the subject line
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.