At Weyerhaeuser we believe trees are a remarkable resource that can, and should, be managed responsibly to make a range of products that meet human needs, while also providing recreation, wildlife habitat, and other important ecosystem benefits. For more than a century, we’ve been building our reputation as a leader in sustainable forest products.
The successful candidate will be a member of the Southern Timberlands Technology (STT) Team that develops and implements new technology for growing Southern pine plantations. The STT Team is responsible for research planning, coordination of activities with area foresters, managing plot installation and measurement, data handling and analysis and developing operating guidelines for the business. This position is responsible for implementing all facets of the Production Forestry field research program across Southern Timberlands by working with key scientists and project leaders. Strong communication and coordination is required with scientists and the entire STT Team to ensure field test sites are properly selected, site prepared, established, maintained, measured, and documented. The Research Forester will be able to conduct research on various aspects of silviculture, forest soils, tree genetics, tree physiology, plant pathology and plant nutrition. Additionally, the position will be responsible for transferring technological information in a practical manner to managers, early- and mid-rotation foresters, harvesting foresters, planners, and other relevant parties. This transfer of information may be in the form of group presentations, field tours, and written reports. Assist in all aspects of the Production Forestry Field Research Program, as well as other related areas of research (Environmental and Tree Improvement) as needed.
In addition to formal research activities, the successful candidate is expected to stay abreast of current science, to understand operational practices, and to recognize research needs and challenges as they arise.
- MS or BS in forest management, silviculture, soils, or a closely related field At least 3 years relevant experience
- Basic understanding of a broad range of core competencies including: plantation nutrition, tree physiology, tree genetics, soils, growth and yield, and silvicultural systems
- Field forestry experience
- Contract administration (both preparing contracts and managing the contractor)
- Ability manage multiple projects with competing deadlines
- Excellent working knowledge of MS Office applications
- Excellent computer and GIS skills
- Knowledge of statistical software: SAS and R
- Good knowledge of experimental design and the importance of data quality
- Excellent team working skills,
- The ability to work alone safely, often in remote areas and during periods of change, prepared to do field intensive work.
- Proactive problem solving skills
- Ability to travel up to 40% of the time, sometimes 1-2 weeks at a time often requiring irregular work hours
- Strong math, analytical and financial analysis skills including but not limited to interpreting research data, generating discounted cash flows to compare alternative regimes, understanding forest inventory data and interpreting growth and yield model outputs
- Familiarity with spatial and tabular data in GIS and databases
- Herbicide, pesticide and fertilizer application management
- Demonstrated ability to work safely in forestry or related operations
We believe trees are a remarkable resource that can and should be managed responsibly to make a range of products that meet human needs, while also providing recreation, wildlife habitat, and other important ecosystem benefits.
For more than a century, we've been taking care of forests to make life better.
We sustainably manage forests and manufacture products that make the world a better place. We are serious about safety, driven to achieve excellence, and proud of what we do. With multiple business lines in locations across North America, we offer a range of exciting career opportunities for smart, talented people who are passionate about making a difference. We know you have a choice in your career. We want you to choose us.
Weyerhaeuser is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to taking affirmative action to employ and advance in employment women, minorities, qualified individuals with disabilities and protected veterans.