One full-time, temporary position (June 1 to end of August) to conduct long-term vegetation monitoring and contribute to forest research in the Acadia National Park region.
Primary Responsibilities: The incumbent will assist with long-term vegetation monitoring programs in Acadia National Park. This is a field-based position, and incumbent will be required to carry a 35+ pound pack, work in all weather conditions, and hike off trail through rough terrain. Incumbent may be exposed to deer ticks that carry Lyme disease, biting insects, poison ivy and dense brush.
• Attend forest crew training and sample permanent forest health plots in Acadia National Park (June and July).
• Assist with intensive wetland monitoring in 10 sentinel sites in Acadia National Park, including sampling vegetation, collecting water samples, and assessing buffer condition (August).
• Other duties may include disinfecting equipment, pressing unknown plant specimens, assisting with park vegetation inventories, preparing soil samples for processing, data entry, and data quality assurance/quality control.
Qualifications and Job Requirements:
• Experience conducting field work in difficult conditions (e.g., harsh terrain, high heat/humidity, and biting insects)
• Experience with and interest in learning plant identification, including ability to identify northeastern trees and shrubs.
• Must have a valid driver's license and be willing to drive NPS-provided vehicles throughout the season.
• Must be a US Citizen
• Upon selection, applicant will be subjected to a federal background investigation and must receive favorable adjudication to be hired.
• To be considered for the position, incumbent must agree to follow COVID-safety measures, such as physical distancing where possible, and wearing a mask when in close proximity to other staff or visitors (including in shared living spaces). COVID-safety measures will be discussed in more detail during the interview process.
For more information and to apply, view the job announcement on the Schoodic Institute website: https://proxy.qualtrics.com/proxy/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fschoodicinstitute.org%2Fabout-us%2Femployment-opportunities%2F&token=kW1ZCdUE8IftRT16%2BXjzgep7IWuyap0VW4wtlNsqJsg%3D