Contact Dr. Michael Yabsley
Become involved in a new project
Is COVID-19 changing the way you spend time outdoors?
Does that change the risk of tick exposure for you, your family, or your dogs?
Our goal is to determine if COVID-19 restrictions on society have had an effect on the time that people or their pets spend outdoors and if this change is associated with a change in risk of exposure to ticks or tick-borne diseases.
Your participation will involve filling out a short online anonymous survey that should only take about 10-15 minutes of your time (or less if you do not have children and/or dogs).
Please click here to access the survey or paste this link in your browser - https://bit.ly/ugaticks or https://ugeorgia.ca1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_8kctqb7neC2Pyvj
Also, please share this survey with anybody that you think would be willing to complete the survey.
I greatly appreciate your participation in this study, if you have any questions please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Wildlife Diseases, Zoonotic Diseases, Parasitology, Vector-borne pathogens
- Kirejczk SGM, RE Burns, M Hyatt, MJ Yabsley, J Ter Beest, Z Gyimesi, R Ossiboff. A Waltman, TA Seimon, and R McManamon. 2019. Fatal Sarcocystis falcatula infection in three penguins. Frontiers in Veterinary Medicine. (online early). doi: 10.3389/fvets.2019.00340 If=2.09
- GSTNiedringhaus KD, J GettingsPD, JD Brown, M Ternent, W Childress, and MJ Yabsley. 2019.The emergence and expansion of sarcoptic mange in American black bears (Ursus americanus) in the United States. Veterinary Parasitology:Regional Studies and Reports. 17:100303.
- Self SCW, Y Liu, SK Nordone, MJ Yabsley, H Stockdale Walden, RB Lund, DD Bowman, C Carpenter, CS McMahan, JR GettingsPD. 2019. Canine vector-borne disease: mapping and the accuracy of forecasting using big data from the veterinary community. Animal Health Research Reviews 1-14. https://doi.org/10.1017/S1466252319000045
- USTThompson AT, CA ClevelandGST, TM KoserGST, ST Wyckoff, and MJ Yabsley. The occurrence of Physaloptera spp. in pulmonary vessels of the hispid cotton rat (Sigmodon hispidus). Journal of Parasitology 105(5):718-723.
- Huckins GL, D Eschar, D Schwarz, M Morton, BH Herrin, A Cerezo, MJ Yabsley, and SM Schneider. 2019. Trypanosoma cruzi infection in zoo-housed red panda in Kansas. Journal of Veterinary Diagnostic Investigation 31(5):752-755. https://doi.org/10.1177/1040638719865926 If=1.174
- GSTNiedringhaus KD, JD Brown, M Ternent, S PeltierGST, and MJ Yabsley. 2019. Effects of temperature on survival of black bear-origin Sarcoptes scabiei. Parasitology Research 118(10):2767-2772. If=2.6
- GSTNiedringhaus KD, JD Brown, M Ternent, CA Cleveland, and MJ Yabsley. 2019. A serosurvey of multiple pathogens in American black bears (Ursus americanus) in Pennsylvania, USA indicates a lack of association with sarcoptic mange. Veterinary Sciences 6(4):75. https://doi.org/10.3390/vetsci6040075
- GSTGarrett KB, SM Hernandez, R Schott, L Peshock, JD Brown, H Farid, P Oesterle, N Nemeth, A Kjemtrup, M LewisUST, R Schnellbacher, JS Ortiz, and MJ Yabsley. High diversity of cryptic Babesia spp. in raccoons from selected areas of the United States and Canada. International Journal for Parasitology:Parasites and Wildlife. 9:224-233. if=2.1
- Oakes VJ, MJ Yabsley, D Schwartz, T LeRoith, C Bissett, C Broaddus, JL Schlater, SM Todd, KM Boes, M Brookhart, and KK Lahmers. 2019. Theileria orientalis Ikeda genotype in cattle, Virginia USA. Emerging Infectious Diseases 25(9):1653-1659 if=7.422
- GSTNiedringhaus KD, JD Brown, K SweeleyVST and MJ Yabsley. A review of sarcoptic mange in North American wildlife. International Journal for Parasitology:Parasites and Wildlife. 9:285-297. if=2.1
- GSTGleim ER, G Zemtsova, M Levin, LM Conner, and MJ Yabsley. 2019. Prescribed fires can reduce risk of tick-borne diseases. Scientific Reports 9:9974. If=4.122
- Self SW, CN Pulaski, CS McMahan, DA Brown, MJ Yabsley, JR Gettings. 2019. Regional and local temporal trends in the prevalence of canine heartworm infection in the contiguous United States: 2012–2018. Parasites & Vectors, 12:390. 10.1186/s13071-019-3633-2
- Ramey AM^, CA Cleveland GST^ (^contributed equally), GV Hilderbrand, K Joly, D Gustine, B Mangipane, WB Leacock, AP Crupi, DE Hill, JP Dubey, and MJ Yabsley. 2019. Evidence that exposure of Alaska brown bears (Ursus arctos) to bacterial, viral, and parasitic agents varies spatiotemporally and may be influenced by demography. Journal of Wildlife Diseases 55(3):576-588 if=1.355
- Carleton RI, H Fenton, JA Bryan, and MJ Yabsley. 2019. Pathology in Practice: Xanthoma in a great horned owl. Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association. 254(12):1407-1409
- GSTGleim ER, LM Conner, GE Zemtsova, ML Levin, P WongUST, MA PfaffGST, and MJ Yabsley. 2019. Rickettsiales in ticks removed from outdoor workers. Emerging Infectious Diseases 25(5):1019-1021. If=7.422
- GSTNiedringhaus KD, HJ Burchfield VST, EJ Elsmo, CA Cleveland, H Fenton, BC ShockGST, C Muis, JD Brown, B Munk, A Ellis, RJ Hall, and MJ Yabsley. 2019. Trichomoniasis due to Trichomonas gallinae in Barn Owls (Tyto alba) and Barred Owls (Stix varia) from the Eastern United States. Veterinary Parasitology:Regional Studies and Reports 16:100281
- Liu Y, SK Nordone, MJ Yabsley, SR Meshnick, RB Lund, CS McMahan, and JR GettingsPD. 2019. Application of Bayesian spatio-temporal modeling of canine Borrelia burgdorferi seroprevalence to estimate cumulative incidence of Lyme disease in humans. Geospatial Health 14:750 if=1.225
- GSTCleveland CA, A DeNicola, E BoxUST, L SwanepoelUST, and MJ Yabsley. 2019. Rickettsia species in ticks collected from wild pigs (Sus scrofa) and Philippine deer (Rusa marianna) on Guam, Marianna Islands, USA. Acta Tropica. 18;194:89-92. If= 2.509
- Kolton CB, C Marston, RA Stoddard, CM Cossaboom, JS Salzer, TR Kozel, MA Gates-Hollingsworth, CA ClevenadGST, AT ThompsonGST, MF Dalton, MJ Yabsley, and AR Hoffmaster. 2019. Detection of Bacillus anthracis in animal tissues using InBios Active Anthrax Detect Rapid Test Lateral Flow Immunoassay. Letters in Microbiology. 68(6):480-484 doi:10. 1111/lam.13134. If=1.471
- GSTCleveland CA, ML Eberhard, AT ThompsonUST/GST, L SwanepoelGST, H Zirimwabagabo, T Moundai, PT Ouakou, E Ruiz-Tiben, and MJ Yabsley. 2019. Hunting tiny dragons: surveillance for Dracunculus medinensis third-stage larvae in aquatic animals, Chad, Africa. Scientific Reports. 9(1): 375. IF:4.609
- Sapp SGH, S Handali, SB Weinstein, and MJ Yabsley. 2018. Detection and evaluation of antibody response to a Baylisascaris-specific antigen in rodent hosts using western blotting and ELISA. Journal of Parasitology 104(6):651-659
- Self SW, C McMahan, DA Brown, R Lund, J GettingsPD, and MJ Yabsley. 2018. A large scale spatio-temporal binomial regression model for estimating seroprevalence trends. Environmetrics 29(8):e2538. IF:1.321
- USTSwanepoel L, GSTCleveland CA, Olfenbuttel C, Gray CA, Brown D, JD Brown, R Tumlison, A Surf and MJ Yabsley. 2018. Prevalence and genetic characterization of Dirofilaria lutrae from North American river otters (Lutra canadensis). Veterinary Parasitology: Regional Studies and Reports 14:187-190.
- VSTMulreany LM, KD NiedringhausGST, HMA Fenton, C Smith, R Smith, CH Gardiner, BC Lewis, T Craig, BH Williams, MM Garner, CA ClevelandGST, and MJ Yabsley. 2018. Filarial dermatitis caused by Filaria taxideae in domestic ferrets (Mustela putorius furo) from the western United States. Veterinary Parasitology: Regional Studies and Reports 14:155-160.
- Beard, CB, J Occi, DL Bonilla, AM Egizi, DM Fonseca, JW Mertins, BP Backenson, WI Bajwa, AM Barbarin, MA Bertone, JD Brown, NP Connally, ND Connell, RJ Eisen, RC Falco, AM James, RK Krell, K Lahmers, N Lewis, SE Little, M Neault, AA Pérez de León, AR Randall, MG Ruder, MN Saleh, B Schappach, BA Schroeder, LL Seraphin, M Wehtje, GP Wormser, MJ Yabsley, and William Halperin. 2018. Multistate infestation with the exotic disease-vector tick Haemaphysalis longicornis – United States, August 2017-Spet 2018. MMWR. 67(47):1310-1313.
- Vanstreels RET, MJ Yabsley, NJ Parsons, L SwanepoelUST, K Kudynia, and PA Pistorius. A novel candidate species of an erythrocytic Anaplasma in African penguins (Spheniscus demersus) from South Africa. Parasites and Vectors. 11:525 https://doi.org/10.1186/s13071-018-3089-9 IF=3.43
- VSTSinnott D, E Elsmo, SK PeltierGST, MJ Yabsley, HMA Fenton. 2018. Pathology in practice: skin lesions in two fox squirrels. Journal of the American Veterinary Medicine Association 253(6):723-726.
- Elsmo EJ, H Fenton, C ClevelandGST, BC ShockGST, MW Cunningham, EW Howerth, and MJ Yabsley. 2018. Acute, necrotizing, interstitial pneumonia and suppurative myocarditis associated with Bartonella henselae infection in three Florida pumas (Puma concolor coryi). Journal of Veterinary Diagnostic Investigations 30(5):728-732 IF=1.219
- GST^Williams B, CA ClevelandGST^ (^contributed equally), GG Verocai, L SwanepoelUST, KD NiedringhausGST, KL Paras, Y Nagamori, SE Little, A Varela-Stokes, N Nemeth, H Wyrosdick, A Tucker, L Deal, D Gauthier, S Prout, C DeAngelo, A Marsh, D Piepgras, LH Cook, KB Milliren, JS Becker, C Lyons, J Clark, J Stumph, MM Borst, KL Tucker, A Ward, EM Baird, KA Burke, JW Camp, CA Davis, CN Pulaski, and MJ Yabsley. Dracunculus infections in domestic dogs and cats, an under recognized parasite? Veterinary Parasitology: Regional Studies and Reports 13:148-155.
- GSTCleveland CA, R Cozad, B WilliamsGST, MJ. Yabsley, M Murray and K GarrettGST. 2018. The Wild World of Guinea Worms: A review of the genus Dracunculus in wildlife. International Journal for Parasitology: Parasites and Wildlife. IF: 2.777
- Vanstreels RET, CH Gardiner, MJ Yabsley, L SwanepoelUST, CKM Kolesnikovas, RP Silva-Filho, AC Ewbank, and JL Catão-Dias. 2018. Schistosomes and microfilarial parasites in Magellanic penguins. Journal of Parasitology 104(3):322-328. doi: 10.1645/17-154 IF:1.395
- GSTPeltier SK, JD Brown, MA Ternent, H Fenton, KD NiedringhausGST, and MJ Yabsley. Assays for detection and identification of the causative agent of mange in free-ranging black bears (Ursus americanus). Journal of Wildlife Diseases. 54(3):471-479 IF: 1.552
- GSTSapp SGH, MJ Yabsley and R Bradbury. 2018. Abnormal helminth egg development, strange morphology and the identification of intestinal helminth infections. Emering Infectious Diseases 24(8):. IF:8.22
- GSTSapp S.G.H., B. MurrayUST, E.R. Hoover, G. Green, and M.J. Yabsley. Raccoon roundworm (Baylisascaris procyonis) as an occupational hazard: 2. Use of personal protective equipment and infection control practices among raccoon rehabilitators. Zoonoses and Public Health 65(5):490-500 if: 2.688
- GSTSapp S.G.H., B. MurrayUST, E.R. Hoover, G. Green and M.J. Yabsley. Raccoon roundworm (Baylisascaris procyonis) as an occupational hazard: 1. Knowledge of B. procyonis and attitudes towards it and other zoonoses among wildlife rehabilitators. Zoonoses and Public Health 65(1):e130-e142 if: 2.688
- Cohen B, EH Belser, SP Keeler, MJ Yabsley, and KV Miller. 2018. A headache from our past: cranial abscess disease, virulence factors of Trueprella pyogenes, and a legacy of translocating white-tailed deer. Journal of Wildlife Diseases 54(4):671-679. IF:1.552
- VSTShockling-Dent CS, E Elsmo, MJ Yabsley, and H Fenton. 2018. Pathology in practice: liver accession in a white-tailed deer. Journal of the American Veterinary Medicine Association 253(2):167-170. doi: 10.2460/javma.253.2.167
- Liu EW, DeVincenzo J, R Maves, D Palazzi, C Meyer, H Cusodio, Y Qvarnstrom, MJ Yabsley. R Bradbury, SP Montgomery. 2018. Rat lungworm infection associated with central nervous system disease in the continental United States – Eight states, 2011-2016. MMWR 67(30):825-828. IF=11.483
- GSTGarrett KB, R Schott, L Peshock, MJ Yabsley. 2018. Multiple Babesia infections in young raccoons and association of splenomegaly with Babesia sensu stricto-infections. Parasitology Open. 4, e12, 1–9. https://doi.org/10.1017/pao.2018.7
- Vanstreels RET, MJ Yabsley, L SwanepoelUST, K Stevens, T Carpenter-Kling, PG Ryan, PA Pistorius. 2018. Molecular characterization and lesions associated with Diomedenema diomedeae (Aproctoidea: Desmidocercidae) from grey-headed albatrosses (Thalassarche chrysostoma) on the Subantarctic Marion Island. International Journal for Parasitology: Parasites and Wildlife. 7(2):155-160. IF: 2.777
- GSTNiedringhaus, KD, Fenton HMA, GSTCleveland CA, Anderson AN, Schwartz D, Alex CE, Rogers KH, Mete A, and MJ Yabsley. 2018. Systemic hemosporidiosis infection in juvenile great horned owls (Bubo virginianus) from Louisiana and California, USA. Veterinary Parasitology: Regional Studies and Reports 12:49-54
- Yabsley MJ, RET Vanstreels, ES Martinsen, AG WicksonUST, AE Holland, SM Hernandez, AT ThompsonUST, SL Perkins, CJ West, AL Bryan, CA ClevelandGST, E JollyUST, JD Brown, D McRuer, S Behmke, and JC Beasley. Molecular characterization of Haemoproteus catharti from New World vultures (Cathartidae) reveals a novel clade of Haemosporida. Malaria Journal 17(1):12. doi:10.1186/s12936-017-2165-5 IF: 3.027
- Ortiz S, S Hernandez, MJ Yabsley, NL Stedman, SE Nelson, B Carswell, Y Moore, H Fenton, K NiedringhausGST, C Bahnson, TI Welsh, and T Norton. Introduction and establishment of raccoon rabies on islands: Jekyll Island, Georgia as a case study. Journal of Wildlife Diseases ;54(2):329-334. if: 1.552
- USTLockwood B, I Stasiak, MA PfaffGST, CA ClevelandGST, MJ Yabsley. Widespread distribution of ticks and selected tick-borne pathogens, Kentucky (USA). Ticks and Tick Borne Diseases 9(3):738-741 IF:3.23
- Murray, M, A Kidd, S Curry, J Hepinstall-Cymerman, MJ Yabsley, H Adams, T Ellison, C Welch, and SM Hernandez. 2018. From wetland specialist to hand-fed generalist: Shifts in diet and condition with provisioning for a recently urbanized wading bird. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B. 373(1745) pii: 20170100. doi: 10.1098/rstb.2017.0100. IP=7.055
- VSTMehrpad S, CA ClevelandGST, A DeNicola, JP Dubey and MJ Yabsley. 2018. Survey for selected pathogens in Philippine deer (Rusa marianna) from Guam, Marianna Islands, USA. Veterinary Parasitology: Regional Studies and Reports 11:36-40.
- Yabsley MJ, RET Vanstreels, BC ShockGST, M PurdeeVST, EC Horne, MA Peirce, and NJ Parsons. 2017. Molecular characterization of Babesia peircei and Babesia ugwidiensis provides insight into the evolution and host specificity of avian piroplasms. Int J Parasitol: Parasites Wildl Aug 24;6(3):257-264. doi: 10.1016/j.ijppaw.2017.08.006.
- GSTCoker SM, SM Hernandez, WM KistlerGST, SE Curry, CN Welch, HW Barron, S Harsch, MH Murray, and MJ Yabsley*. 2017. Diversity of hemoparasites of wading birds in southern Florida, USA. International Journal for Parasitology: Parasites and Wildlife 6(3):220-225.
- GSTPeltier SK, JD Brown, M Ternent, KD NiedringhausGST, K Schuler, N Dean, F Frenzel, HA Spiker, and MJ Yabsley*. 2017. Genetic characterization of Sarcoptes scabiei from black bears (Ursus americanus) and other hosts in Northeastern United States. Journal of Parasitology 103(5):593-7.
- Yabsley MJ. 2017. Book review: Sarcocystosis of Animals and Humans, 2nd Edition. By J.P. Dubey, R. Calero-Bernal, B.M. Rosenthal, C.A. Speer, and R. Fayer. CRC Press, Boca Raton, Florida, USA. Journal of Wildlife Diseases 53(4):.
- GSTCleveland, CA, ML Eberhard, AT ThompsonUST, SJ SmithUST, H Zirimwabagobo, R Bringolf, and MJ Yabsley. 2017. The potential of fish to act as transport hosts for Dracunculus insignis and D. medinensis larvae. Emerging Infectious Diseases 23(9):1590-1592.
- Dalton MF, H Fenton, CA ClevelandGST, EJ Elsmo, and MJ Yabsley*. 2017. Eosinophilic meningoencephalitis associated with rat lungworm (Angiostrongylus cantonensis) migration in two nine-banded armadillos (Dasypus novemcinctus) and an opossum (Didelphis virginiana) in the southeastern United States. International Journal for Parasitology: Parasites and Wildlife 6(2):131-134.
- GSTCleveland CA, A Denicola, JP Dubey, RD Berghaus, and MJ Yabsley*. 2017. Survey for selected pathogens in wild pigs (Sus scrofa) from Guam, Marianna Islands, USA. Veterinary Microbiology 205:22-25. IP=2.564
- Liu Y, S Watson, J Gettings, R Lund, SK Nordone, MJ Yabsley* (corresponding author), and CS McMahan. 2017. A Bayesian spatio-temporal model for forecasting Anaplasma species seroprevalence in domestic dogs within the contiguous United States. Plos ONE 12(7), 18 pages. IP=no longer provided
- Yabsley MJ and SGH SappGST. 2017. Prevalence of Baylisascaris in domestic dog coprological examinations in the United States, 2013-2016. Veterinary Parasitology: Regional Studies and Reports 9:65-69.
- Watson S, Y Liu, R Lund, JR GettingsPD, SK Nordone, CS McMahan and MJ Yabsley* (corresponding author). 2017. A Bayesian Spatio-temporal model for forecasting the prevalence of antibodies to Borrelia burgdorferi, causative agent of Lyme disease, in domestic dogs within the contiguous United States. PLoS ONE 12(5): e0174428.. http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0174428 IP=no longer provided
- GSTSapp S.G.H, M.A. PfaffGST, M.K. Martin, P. Gupta, K.D. NiedringhausGST, and M.J. Yabsley. 2017. Beyond the raccoon roundworm: The natural history of Baylisascaris species in the New World. International Journal for Parasitology: Parasites and Wildlife 6(2):85-99.
- Liu Y, CS McMahan, SK Nordone, RW Stitch, MJ Yabsley, and RB Lund. 2017. A Bayesian spatio-temporal model for forecasting the prevalence of antibodies to Ehrlichia in domestic dogs within the contiguous United States. Parasites and Vectors 10(1):138 oi: 10.1186/s13071-017-2068-x. IP=3.234
- GSTMcDermid, K, A Snyman, FJ Verreynne, J Carroll , B Penzhorn, and MJ Yabsley*. 2017. Surveillance for viral and parasitic pathogens in a vulnerable African lion (Panthera leo) population in the Northern Tuli Game Reserve, Botswana. Journal of Wildlife Diseases 53(1):54-61. IP=1.355
- Deprez I, MJ Yabsley, S Fogelson, AC Haley, JA Hicks, R Barber, I Sladokovic, SA Secrest, J Mayer, and SJ Divers. 2017. Baylisascaris procyonis larva migrans in two North American beavers (Castor canadensis), Journal of Zoo and Wildlife Medicine 48(1):232-236. IP=0.421
- Geoghegan EM, NL Welch, MJ Yabsley, ME Church, PA Pesavento, and CB Buck. 2017. Identification of a second raccoon-associated polyomavirus. Genome Announcements 5(26):e00548-17. doi:10.1128/genomeA.00548-17
- Sircar AD, F Abanyie, D Blumberg, P Chin-Hong, KS Coulter, D Cunningham, WC Huskins, C Langelier, M Reid, BJ Scott, D Shirley, J Babik, A Belova, SGH Sapp, I McAuliffe, HN Rivera, MJ Yabsley, and SP Montgomery. 2016. Baylisascaris procyonis, raccoon roundworm, central nervous system and ocular disease, United States, 2014— 2015. MMWR (in press, will be out September 9th 2016)
- Sapp GHS, SB Weinstein, CS McMahan, and MJ Yabsley. Variable infection dynamics in four Peromyscus species following experimental inoculation with Baylisascaris procyonis. Journal of Parasitology (online early)
- Gonzalez-Astudillo V, S Hernandez, MJ Yabsley, D Mead, MK Keel, B Munk, JF Fischer, M Ruder, JD Brown, V Peters, and N Nemeth. 2016. Mortality of selected avian orders submitted to a wildlife diagnostic laboratory (Southeastern Cooperative Wildlife Disease Study, USA): a 36-year retrospective analysis. Journal of Wildlife Diseases 52(3):online ahead of print.
- Last LA, H Fenton, MJ Yabsley, JG McGuire, and M Moore. Snake fungal disease caused by Ophidiomyces ophiodiicola in a free-ranging mud snake (Farancia abacura). Journal of Veterinary Diagnostic Investigation (in press)
- Loftis AD, PJ Kelly, CD Paddock, K Blount, JW Johnson, ER Gleim, MJ Yabsley, ML Levin, and L Beati. 2016. Panola Mountain Ehrlichia in Amblyomma maculatum from the United States and Amblyomma variegatum from the Caribbean and Africa. Journal of Medical Entomology (in press).
- Eberhard ML, MJ Yabsley, H Zirimwabagabo, H Bishop, CA Cleveland, JC Maerz, R Bringolf, and E Ruiz-Tiben. 2016. The role of fish and frogs as paratenic hosts of Dracunculus medinensis, Emerging Infectious Diseases 22(8):128-1430.
- Gleim, ER, LE Garrison, D Cole, M Vello, MY Savage, G Lopez, RD Bergaus, and MJ Yabsley. 2016. Factors associated with tick bites and pathogen prevalence in ticks parasitizing humans in Georgia, USA. Parasites and Vectors. Mar 2;9(1):125. doi: 10.1186/s13071-016-1408-6.
- Rothermel BB, DL Miller, ER Travis, JL McGuire, JB Jensen, and MJ Yabsley. 2016. Disease dynamics of red-spotted newts (Notophthalmus viridescens viridescens) and their anuran prey in a montane pond community. Diseases of Aquatic Organisms. 118(2):113-27. doi: 10.3354/dao02965.
- McMahan CS, Wang D, Beall MJ, Bowman DD, Little SE, Pithua PO, Sharp JL, Stich RW, Yabsley MJ, Lund RB. 2016. Factors associated with Anaplasma spp. seroprevalence among dogs in the United States. Parasit Vectors. Mar 22;9(1):169.
- Martinsen ES, N McInerney, H Brightman, K Ferebee, T Walsh, W McShea, T Forrester, L Ware, PH Joyner, SL Perkins, EK Latch, MJ Yabsley, JJ Schall, RC Fleischer. 2016. Hidden in plain sight: Endemic malaria parasites in the iconic North American white-tailed deer (Odocoileus virginianus) provide insight into malarial evolution. Science Advances Feb 5;2(2):e1501486. 10.1126/sciadv.1501486.
- Springer, YP, Hoekman, D, Johnson, PTJ, Duffy, PA, Allan, BF, Amman, BR, Barker, CM, Barrera, R, Beard, CB, Beati, L, Begon, M, Blackmore, MS, Bradshaw, WE, Brisson, D, Calisher, CH, Childs, JE, Diuk-Wasser, MA, Douglass, RJ, Eisen, R, Foley, DH, Foley, JE, Gaff, HD, Gardner, SL, Ginsberg, HS, Glass, GE, Hamer, SA, Hayden, MH, Hjelle, B, Holzapfel, CM, Juliano, SA, Kramer, LD, Kuenzi, AJ, LaDeau, SL, Livdahl, TP, Mills, JN, Moore, CG, Morand, S, Nasci, RS, Ogden, NH, Ostfeld, RS, Parmenter, RR, Piesman, J, Reisen, WK, Savage, HM, Sonenshine, DE, Swei, A, and Yabsley, MJ. Vector and pathogen sampling designs for the National Ecological Observatory Network (NEON). Ecosphere 7(5):e01271. 10.1002/ecs2.1271 40 pages + 25 pages of supplemental material.
- Beckwith-Cohen B, DJ Gasper, E Bentley, H Gittleman, AE Ellis, KF Snowden, BC ShockGST, MJ Yabsley, and RR Dubielzig. 2016. Protozoal infections of the cornea and conjunctiva in dogs associated with chronic ocular surface disease and topical immunosuppression. Veterinary Ophthalmology 19(3):206-213. 10.1111/vop.12285
- Chambouvet A, D Gower, M Jirku, MJ Yabsley, AK Davis, G Leonard, F Maguire, TM Doherty-Bone, GB Bittencourt-Silva, M Wilkinson, and TA Richards. 2015. Cryptic infection by Perkinsea protists of diverse and globally distributed tadpoles. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 112(34): E4743–E4751.
- Rushmore J, A Allison, E Edwards, S Altizer, U Bagal, MR Cranfield, T Glenn, H Liu, M Muller, RM Stumpf, ME Thompson, R. Wrangham, and MJ Yabsley. 2015. Screening great apes for putative sexually transmitted diseases: evidence of Trichomonadidae infections in wild chimpanzees. Journal of Primatology 77(10):1075-85.
- Yabsley MJ, AE Ellis, and C Ruckdeschel. High prevalence of Porocephalus crotali infection on a barrier island (Cumberland Island) off the coast of Georgia, with identification of novel intermediate hosts. Journal of Parasitology 101(5):603-7.
- Yabsley MJ, K Bailey, and HC Adams. 2015. A novel Eimeria species (Apicomplexa: Eimeriidae) from the mourning dove, Zenaida macroura (Colubiformes: Columbidae). Comparative Parasitology 82(2):231-234.
- Cohen, BS, EH Belser, CH Killmaster, JW Bowers, BJ Irwin, MJ Yabsley, and KV Miller. 2015. Epizootiology of cranial abscess disease in white-tailed deer from Georgia. Journal of Wildlife Diseases 51(3):609-18.
- Coomansingh, CM, MJ Yabsley, N Wagner, R Pinckney, MI Bhaiyat, A Chikweto, C Macpherson, and PJ Fields. 2015. Meta-analysis of the prevalence of Dirofilaria immitis in dogs from Grenada, West Indies. International Journal of Veterinary Medicine: Research & Reports. Article 429690, 8 pages.
- Thomas JM, Phillips JE, Bunting EM, Yabsley MJ, and Brown, JD. 2015. Molecular surveillance for lymphoproliferative disease virus in hunter killed wild turkeys (Meleagris gallopavo) from the Eastern United States. Journal of Wildlife Diseases. PLoS One 10(4):e0122644. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0122644
- Cohen, BS, EH Belser, SP Keeler, MJ Yabsley, and KV Miller. 2015. Isolation and genotypic characterization of Truperella (Arcanobacterium) pyogenes recovered from active cranial abscess infections of male white-tailed deer (Odocoileus virginianus). Journal of Zoo and Wildlife Medicine 46(1):62-7.
- Kistler, WM, DE Stallknecht, C Lebarbenchon, K Pedersen, D Marks, R Mickley, TJ Deliberto, and MJ Yabsley. 2015. Influenza A virus H5-specific antibodies in North American mute swans (Cygnus olor). Journal of Wildlife Diseases 51(2):523-6 http://dx.doi.org/10.7589/2014-08-192
- Kistler, WM, DE Stallknecht, TJ Deliberto, K Van Why, and MJ Yabsley. 2015. Subtype-Specific Influenza A Virus Antibodies in Canada Geese (Branta canadensis). Veterinary Microbiology 177(3-4):296-301.
- Kistler WM, SEJ Gibbs, DE Stallknecht, and MJ Yabsley. 2015. Wood ducks (Aix sponsa) as potential reservoirs for avian influenza and avian paramyxoviruses. Avian Pathology 44(3):169-74. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/03079457.2015.1020757
- Casey CL, SM Hernandez, MJ Yabsley, KF Smith, and S Sanchez. 2015. The carriage of antibiotic resistance by enteric bacteria from imported tokay geckos (Gekko gecko) destined for the pet trade. Science of the Total Environment 505(299-305).
- Ramey, A, JA Schmutz, JA Reed, G Fujita, BD Scotton, B Casler, JP Fleskes, K Konishi, and MJ Yabsley. 2015. Evidence of intercontinental parasite exchange through molecular detection and characterization of haematozoa in northern pintails (Anas acuta) sampled throughout the North Pacific Basin. International Journal for Parasitology: Parasites and Wildlife 4(1):11-21.
- Gleim, ER, LM Conner, RD Bergaus, ML Levin, GE Zemtsova, and MJ Yabsley. 2014. The effects of long-term prescribed burning on tick population dynamics in southwest Georgia and northwestern Florida. PLOS One 9(11): e112174. http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0112174
- Slusher, MJ, BR Wilcox, MP Lutrell, R Poulsen, JD Brown, MJ Yabsley, and DE Stallknecht. 2014. Are passerine birds reservoirs for avian influenza viruses? Journal of Wildlife Diseases 50(4):792-809.
- McGuire JL, LL Smith, C Guyer, and MJ Yabsley. 2014. Effects of upper respiratory tract disease on movement and behavior of gopher tortoises (Gopherus polyphemus) in a southwestern Georgia population. Journal of Wildlife Diseases. 50(4):745-756.
- McGuire JL, LL Smith, C Guyer, JM Lockhart, and MJ Yabsley. 2014. Surveillance for upper respiratory tract disease and Mycoplasma in free-ranging gopher tortoises (Gopherus polyphemus) in Georgia. Journal of Wildlife Diseases 50(4):733-744.
- Winternitz J, MJ Yabsley, and S Altizer. 2014. Wild cyclic voles maintain high neutral and MHC diversity without strong evidence for parasite-mediated selection. Evolutionary Ecology 28:957-975.
- Keeler SM, MJ Yabsley, SN McGraw, HC Adams, and SM Hernandez. 2014. A novel Isospora species from warblers of Costa Rica. Journal of Parasitology 100(3):302-304.
- Mascarelli PE, MK Keel, MJ Yabsley, L Last, EB Breitschwerdt, and RG Maggi. 2014. Hemotropic mycoplasmas in little brown bats (Myotis lucifugus). Parasites and Vectors 7:117 doi: 10.1186/1756-3305-7-117.
- Shock, BC, A Moncayo, S Cohen, PK Williamson, and MJ Yabsley. 2104. Diversity of piroplasms detected in blood-fed and questing ticks from several states in the United States. Tick and Tick-borne Diseases 5(4):373-380 doi: 10.1016/j.ttbdis.2014.01.003
- Santamaria A, JE Calzada, A Saldana, MJ Yabsley, and NL Gottdenker. 2014. Molecular diagnosis and species identification of Ehrlichia and Anaplasma infections in dogs from Panama, Central America. Vector Borne and Zoonotic Diseases 14(5):368-370. doi:10.1089/vbz.2013.1488)
- Mercurio AD, SM Hernandez, JC Maerz, MJ Yabsley, AL Coleman, LM Shellnutt, AE Ellis, JR Fischer, and SB Wilde. 2014. Experimental feeding of Hydrilla verticillata colonized with Stigonematales cyanobacteria induces vacular myelinoapthy in painted turtles (Chrysemys picta). PLoS ONE 9(4): e93295. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0093295.
- Williams, B, A Berentsen, BC Shock, M Teixeira, MR Dunbar, MS Becker, and MJ Yabsley. 2014. Prevalence and diversity of Babesia, Hepatozoon, Ehrlichia, and Bartonella in wild and domestic carnivores in Zambia. Parasitology Research 113(3):911-918.
- Kistler WM, JD Brown, and MJ Yabsley. 2014. First report of Angiostrongylus vasorum and Hepatozoon canis in a red fox (Vulpes vulpes) from the United States. Veterinary Parasitology 200(1-2):216-220.
- Murray HL, MJ Yabsley, MK Keel, EJB Manning, TJ Wilmers, and JL Corn. 2014. Potential contamination of endangered Florida key deer (Odocoileus virginianus clavium) habitat with Mycobacterium avium subspecies paratuberculosis. Journal of Wildlife Diseases 50(2):349-353.
- Gonynor-McGuire JL, SM Hernandez, LL Smith, and MJ Yabsley. 2014. Safety and utility of an anesthetic protocol for the collection of biological samples from gopher tortoises (Gopherus polyhemus). Wildlife Society Bulletin 38(1):43-50.
- Fitzen C, E Mosites, RD Applegate, SR Telford, J Huang, MJ Yabsley, LR Carpenter, JR Dunn, and AC Moncayo. 2014. Ecological investigation following the first human case of babesiosis in Tennessee. Journal of Parasitology 100(1):106-109.
WILD(POPH) 5100/7100 Wildlife Disease Ecology and Management
POPH 8580 Current Topics in Wildlife Health
FYOS 1001 Freshman Odyssey Seminar: Wildlife Diseases-why do we care?
IDIS 5200/5200L Veterinary Helminthology, Ectoparasitology, and Protozoology
POPH 5201 Wildlife Diseases
Diagnostic parasitologist for SCWDS clinical cases