Little St. Simons Island (LSSI) is a privately-owned barrier island in coastal Georgia accessible by boat only. Its Lodge is a destination for as many as 32 overnight guests with extraordinary opportunities for bird watching, wildlife viewing, fishing, hiking, and kayaking. The island is a member of the Western Hemisphere Shorebird Reserve Network and is recognized internationally as an Important Bird Area. Naturalists provide exceptional experiences for Lodge guests in Natural History education through a variety of guided activities (hiking, biking, kayaking, birding, fishing, herping).
Basic Job Responsibilities:
• Primary focus is Natural history education programs in: bird watching, reptiles, coastal plant communities, marine invertebrates, fishing, and conservation.
• Cleaning and maintenance of equipment: vehicles, kayaks, motorized skiffs, fishing equipment, bicycles (bike mechanic knowledge a plus), optical equipment et cet.
• Trail and road maintenance.
• Assist with maintenance and cultivation of ½ acre Organic Garden.
• Give and receive positive feedback.
• Outgoing personality: strong communication and leadership skills. Abundant enthusiasm.
• B.S. degree in Biology or related field.
• Driver’s license.
• Some working knowledge of: bird and reptile identification, saltwater fishing (spin, fly), kayaking skills, plant communities of the coastal plain habitat.
• Computer literate in Excel, Microsoft Word, PowerPoint.
• The position requires that the successful applicant live on the island. Due to our unique situation and limited accommodations we are unable to accommodate spouses/ children. No pets are permitted on the island.
• CPR, first aid certified.
This is an hourly, full time position. Incumbent will live on island in provided housing. With respect to our conservation management plan and island biodiversity, staff are not permitted to have pets. We are seeking a candidate who will commit to working with the Lodge for no less than one year.
• Housing and meals provided
• Health, Dental, Vision, Life insurance
• 401K Plan with match
• Paid vacation/holidays
Application Deadline/Contact: Deadline is July 6, 2018. Please email resume, letter of interest including three references to: Stacia Hendricks: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Start date: August 27, 2018