Recognized as one of the "World's Best Places to Stay" and as the #9 "Top Small Hotels in the U.S.A.", both by Conde Nast Traveler, Greyfield Inn is an exceptional one-of-a-kind estate offering elegant accommodations to a limited number of guests. Greyfield is a fifteen guest room, full service, family owned, and managed hotel located on Cumberland Island, Georgia. Cumberland Island’s incredibly rich history goes back at least 4000 years beginning with the Native Americans and continuing through the Carnegie era. An exotic location with a history rich in culture & American pride, there are few getaway spots on par with Greyfield Inn. Located on Georgia's largest & southernmost barrier island, Cumberland Island, Greyfield and the island are places of solitude & wonder, accessible only by ferry or small plane. Cumberland Island has extraordinary opportunities for bird watching, fishing, hiking (50+ miles of trails), and kayaking in the surrounding tidal salt marsh habitat. As a naturalist at Greyfield you will be responsible for providing an exceptional experience for guests rooted in natural and cultural history education and environmental conservation.
Basic Job Responsibilities:
- Natural and Cultural History education programs/tours in local flora and fauna and cultural history of Cumberland Island
- Manage and conduct weekly oyster roasts for guests (typically September through May + other special occasions/events)
- Basic maintenance of related equipment (naturalist vehicles, kayaks, fishing gear, bicycles)
- 12 month minimum work commitment contract
- Valid driver’s license
- B.S. degree in Biology, Ecology, Wildlife or related field
- Working knowledge of: Georgia native flora and fauna identification, coastal ecosystem dynamics, environmental conservation
- Fishing and Kayaking skills
- CPR, First Aid Certification
- Outgoing personality – Strong communication and leadership skills – Abundant enthusiasm
The position requires Naturalist to live on island. Due to our unique situation and limited housing we are unable to accommodate spouses/children/partners/pets. We do have other positions, in other departments, available at times so we are always willing to accept applications from spouses/partners.
- Housing and meals provided
- The Naturalist will live in staff housing.
- Ferry rides to and from the island
- Our ferry travels between Cumberland Island and Fernandina Beach several times daily. No stores on island. Parking for personal vehicle is provided on mainland.
- Health, Dental, Life Insurance (after 2 months employment)
- Paid 2 week vacation (after 12 months employment
Please email cover letter and resume to Attn: Mary Ferguson