The Science Communicator will lead NGRREC’s communication strategy, including social media, website content and traditional media presence. The Science Communicator will use their scientific background to work closely with NGRREC scientists and staff to translate complex scientific concepts to formats understood by a general audience. The Science Communicator’s work will inform NGRREC’s constituents of the work happening at the Center and other important topics in river science and sustainability taking place across the watershed. This position will spend time on both the Godfrey campus with Marketing and Public Relations as well as at the NGRREC℠ Field Station.
Key Measurable Expectations:
The following are KMEs that are normal for this position. These are not to be construed as exclusive or all-inclusive. Other duties may be required or assigned.
- In coordination with NGRREC leadership team and L&C Marketing and Public Relations department, devise and implement communications strategy relevant to all NGRREC constituencies, including the public, policymakers, funders, and scientists.
- In close coordination with NGRREC scientists and staff, use science background and communications skills to translate scientific concepts and research results into formats and products that are easily understood by a non-scientist audience.
- Serve as the Public Information Officer for NGRREC in coordination with L&C Marketing and Public Relations and campus administration;
- Create, implement and evaluate a comprehensive social media engagement plan for the organization that targets various audiences including the general public, donors, scientist-colleagues, and natural resource managers. Include metrics and measures of success;
- Manage and coordinate NGRREC’s social media presence across multiple platforms to communicate NGRREC programs. Use social media to engage current and potential donors and members of the community in NGRREC’s work;
- Serve as primary web coordinator and content creator for the NGRREC website, be NGRREC lead on website reorganization and refresh in coordination with L&C Marketing and Public Relations department and L&C Web Content Editor.
- Monitor, direct and respond to social media and web inquiries;
- Supervise and coordinate the daily public relations activities that enhance NGRREC in the minds of all constituencies;
- In coordination with L&C Marketing and Public Relations and NGRREC Leadership Team, serve as the point person/principal liaison for media contacts and inquiries;
- Write press releases and with L&C Marketing and Public Relations, coordinate dissemination to appropriate media outlets;
- Create and publish the NGRREC newsletter;
- Work closely with the L&C Enrollment Center, program coordinators, and other L&C departments to support communication and engagement of students for the NGRREC internship program, NGRREC-related academic programs at L&C and student employment opportunities;
- Work closely with the L&C Foundation on communications and events to engage prospective and current donors;
- Represent NGRREC at events and translate the NGRREC mission and research to the community through in-person events and media products;
- Assist with planning and preparation of NGRREC events;
- Develop and coordinate graphic, photography, videography and written content;
- Monitor, analyze and archive media coverage of NGRREC news and events;
- Provide other public relations/marketing duties as assigned;
- Bachelor’s degree in environmental science, journalism, writing or related fields.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in science-related communications position.
- Strong writing skills geared toward general audiences and scientific writing
- Possess management and leadership skills.
- Experience in public speaking.
- Possess strong organizational skills and the ability to self-manage schedule.
- Knowledge of AP style and writing for the web.
- Possess strong editing skills; communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work with a diverse team.
- Scientific writing expertise and experience.
- Basic graphic design and media layout skills.
- Development and fundraising experience.
Work Hours: Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. , Some Evenings , Some Weekends
Open Date: 10/06/2021
Open Until Filled: Yes
Valid USA Drivers license Required