American Forest Management (AFM) is seeking a candidate to fill the role of GIS Analyst in the Northwest United States. AFM currently manages over 800,000 acres of forestland in the western US and 6 million acres of privately-owned timberland throughout the US. AFMs team of professionals is focused on meeting client needs by providing a complete range of forestry services including land and wildlife management, land sale and acquisition services, forest inventory and design, growth and yield modeling, cash flow projections, environmental services, appraisal, forest resource data management and harvest scheduling. The NW GIS Analyst is responsible for performing data management and geographic information systems duties including spatial and attribute data management, custom mapping, and supporting land management information services offered by (AFM) in the Northwest.
- Develop, construct, and maintain spatial and attribute datasets for a variety of AFM clients ranging from small private to major industrial forest landowners.
- Work with AFM forest inventory management specialists to perform regular forest inventory updates and maintain spatial data on 1 million+ acres in the PNW.
- Assess and analyze spatial data for forestland acquisition and disposition projects.
- Provide GIS and mapping services for a wide variety of consulting projects.
- Prepare professional quality maps for client and internal company needs.
- Perform spatial analyses and output well designed reports and tables.
- Become an advanced user of AFM database management systems and train other AFM employees on these systems.
- Provide training and assistance to AFM field offices on ArcGIS and GPS technologies.
- Support real estate sales team with map creation for marketing materials, assist in creating/converting files to KML/KMZ formats and assist in acquiring and assembling GIS data sets for property valuations and analysis.
- Bachelors degree in forestry, natural resource management, geography, or geospatial science, or a commensurate level of technical experience in forestry and GIS.
- Strong understanding of GIS concepts and spatial data structures.
- Working knowledge and aptitude using ESRI ArcGIS products for spatial database design, construction, and editing, map production, data analysis, and reporting.
- Knowledge of database management systems and forest inventory systems (or having acquired such knowledge within 3-months from date of employment).
- Aptitude using spreadsheets, database software, and database tools such as SQL or Python.
- Understanding GPS and mobile technologies and how they integrate with GIS.
- Excellent time management skills to prioritize multiple projects and adapt to shifting priorities and demands.
- Good communication and teamwork skills in working with both internal and external customers are an essential requirement for this position.
- Strong listening capabilities with the ability to translate written and verbal communications into appropriate course of action.
- Ability to troubleshoot and creatively find solutions.
- 9 Paid holidays
- Paid vacation schedule
- Healthcare and disability plan
- Tuition Reimbursement Program
- 401(K) retirement plan with company match
- Ongoing professional development training