This internship will coincide with the end of Spring Semester and the beginning of Fall Semester. The tentative duration will be May 13th, 2019 through August 2rd, 2019 with the exact dates to be determined after the successful candidate is selected.
The position supports the Distribution and Transmission vegetation management activities within the greater Metropolitan Atlanta area. Some statewide, overnight travel may be required.
Duties may include performing Rights-of-Way (ROW) patrols, vegetation and electrical clearance assessments, and communications with customers and landowners concerning ROW vegetation matters. The position will have the opportunity to work with some of the largest contractors in the utility vegetation maintenance industry, performing work site assessment of contract vegetation maintenance crews and work quality evaluations.
JOB DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- This position will work closely with a Georgia Power Forestry Specialist to carry out daily duties. Duties may include:
- Budgeting, scheduling, and planning vegetation management work
- Daily oversight of contractors, including safety evaluations, inspecting work to ensure specifications and quality standards are met
- Inspecting GPC rights-of-way for imminent threats to the Distribution and Transmission facilities
- Meeting with customers to explain work to be done, as well as address any concerns that arise during and after work is completed
- Assisting with Rights-of-Way (ROW) patrols, vegetation and electrical clearance assessments, and communications with landowners concerning ROW vegetation matters
- On track to acquire a B.S. degree in Forestry, Horticulture or related field
- Minimum GPA of 3.0 required
- U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident
- Knowledge of Utility pruning standards: ANZI Z133, A300
- Must have a commitment to safety
- Demonstrated customer focus ability
- Must be able to meet schedules and critical deadlines
- Knowledge of various tree species, including their typical growth rates and characteristics, within the work area
- Ability to learn basic business skills including budgeting and finance
- Able to interact with people with different perspectives and backgrounds in a professional manner
- Must be self-motivated
- Must be proficient with computer and mobile applications including Microsoft Word, Outlook, Access, Excel, and mobile device applications
- The ability to communicate in Spanish is a plus
- Experience with Geographical Information Systems (GIS) programs a plu
- Strong interpersonal skills and a commitment to teamwork
- Ability to function independently, making timely decisions on one's own initiative
- Good written and oral communication skills
Georgia Power is an investor-owned, tax-paying utility that serves 2.25 million customers in all but four of Georgia's 159 counties. The largest of four electric utilities that make up Southern Company, Georgia Power, has been providing electricity to Georgia for more than a century at rates well below the national average.
With 4.4 million customers and more than 46,000 megawatts of generating capacity, Atlanta-based Southern Company is the premier energy company serving the Southeast through its subsidiaries. A leading U.S. producer of clean, safe, reliable and affordable electricity, Southern Company owns electric utilities in four states and a growing competitive generation company, as well as fiber optics and wireless communications. Southern Company brands are known for energy innovation, excellent customer service, high reliability and retail electric prices that are below the national average. Southern Company and its subsidiaries are leading the nation's nuclear renaissance through the construction of the first new nuclear units to be built in a generation of Americans and are demonstrating their commitment to energy innovation through the development of a state-of-the-art coal gasification plant. Southern Company has been recognized by the U.S. Department of Defense and G.I. Jobs magazine as a top military employer and listed by DiversityInc as a top company for Blacks. The company received the 2012 Edison Award from the Edison Electric Institute for its leadership in new nuclear development, was named Electric Light & Power magazine's Utility of the Year for 2012 and is continually ranked among the top utilities in Fortune's annual World's Most Admired Electric and Gas Utility rankings. Visit our website at
We offer a competitive compensation package. Southern Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) of minorities, women, individuals with disabilities, veterans and strongly supports diversity in the workplace.
A housing stipend may also be available for students requiring lodging during the internship.
Interested students should send their resume and cover letter to Jon Balkcom (firstname.lastname@example.org) in a SINGLE PDF FILE labeled something like: ‘JONES_WHITNEY_GP18.’