The National Wild Turkey Federation (NWTF) is seeking qualified candidates for a term limited (3-yr minimum), full-time Forester to work in multiple counties near Farmington, Missouri. Work will be conducted cooperatively with the Missouri Department of Conservation (MDC), the Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) in state and local offices, agency partners, and other NWTF staff to expand private lands technical assistance to landowners, primarily through the development of conservation / habitat management plans.
• Work closely with the MDC & NRCS to identify opportunities and priorities for healthy forest restoration through the development of detailed plans using identification methods, costs, economics, and manpower needs
• Seek additional grant funding, develop partnerships, and work with volunteers
• Work with private landowners to provide technical assistance for managing their properties using available government programs
• Conduct outreach activities to promote forest management objectives within the designated working area
• Promote participation and highlight accomplishments by submitting newspaper articles to all local newspapers within the project area and providing radio interviews on identified radio stations
• Work closely to deliver various aspects of the Environmental Quality Incentive Program, including certification of practices
• Conduct Landowner Workshops / Field Days in identified priority focus areas annually
• Assist District Conservationists in providing technical assistance to landowners expressing an interest in forest and wildlife management, including site visits, resource inventories, completion of NRCS-CPA-52 Environmental Evaluation Worksheet, and Customer Service Toolkit Plan development
• Provide forestry and wildlife support to NRCS for implementation, checkout, and certification of planned activities utilizing conservation practices standards, specifications, and job sheets
• Develop Forest Management Plans and prescribed burning plans that meet NRCS criteria using Customer Service Toolkit Plan
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS: Preferred candidates should possess experience working in Midwest ecosystems and associated management techniques. Knowledge of forest inventory, management, and planning for major silvicultural types of the region preferred; map reading and GIS/GPS technology, ArcGIS skills; ability to effectively communicate and work with the general public, state / federal / NGO Partners, other cooperators and peers; skills in the use and operation of forestry field equipment; ability to collect and record metrics regarding activities within the NWTF’s reporting systems; proficient skills in the use of Microsoft Office including spreadsheets, internet use, and computer applications.
• Position requires a Bachelor’s degree in forestry from a SAF – Accredited Program
• Experience with forestry and silviculture, conservation implementation, habitat management, and wildlife biology is desired
• Strong organizational skills, networking, communication (ex., verbal, presentation, inter-personal, writing), project management, and leadership ability is preferred
• Experience working with private landowners as well as Federal / State agencies (ex. NRCS, MDC, USFWS, USFS, FSA) with working knowledge of cost-share programs, such as EQIP (NRCS)
• Ability to use Excel, ArcMAP, Google Maps, and other computer mapping systems, including Trimble GPS, to identify and delineate project boundaries
• Demonstrated proficiency using Microsoft Office, Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Outlook, & social media
• Able to work in a wide range of field conditions often requiring rigorous physical activity
• Proven ability to manage multiple projects, produce effective results, and meet deadlines; applicant must be self-motivated, responsible and have ability to solve problems
• Applicant may be required to participate in specific training programs to use partner facilities and equipment. Applicant must have a valid driver’s license & will be based out of a NRCS office within Southern Missouri
Apply at www.nwtf.org and go to the job link.