Aster Global has an immediate need for a forest biometrician.
Our ideal candidate will have an interest in, and experience with, the developing markets for carbon offset projects / credits, including validation/verification (3rd-party audit) of forest carbon offset projects. Being self-motivated and able to be productive in all types of work environments are keys to success in this position.
A strong background in forest biometrics, statistics, and growth-and-yield modeling is required.
In this position you will travel 40-60% of your time and have an opportunity to experience some of the most remote ecosystems in the world.
The work location is flexible (remote) with responsibilities world-wide.
Your Contributions to our Success will include:
• Evaluation and implementation of forest growth models.
• Assisting with and conducting validations and verifications of forest carbon projects.
• Assessment/development/implementation of timber cruises to verify forest carbon projects and data management.
• Providing assistance and training in applied biometrics, forest modeling, and statistics to forestry staff.
• Stay current on developments in the fields of forest biometrics, data management, and modeling.
• Quantifying various attributes from forest inventory data, including statistical metrics.
• Establishment of biomass and carbon stocking levels, and calculation of biological sequestration, from forest inventory data collected using a wide range of methods.
• Designing and conducting forest inventories and performing inventory analysis.
• Development of short- and long-term forest management and planting/reforestation plans, determination of optimal silvicultural prescriptions, and implementation of forest monitoring.
• Monitoring contract compliance and results of forest management activities to assure adherence to government regulations and/or carbon market requirements.
• Determining optimal timber harvesting methods yielding minimum waste and environmental damage.
• Assessing deforested lands to ensure proper reclamation to the most suitable end uses.
• Implementing projects for conservation of wildlife habitats and soil and water quality.
• Conducting forest surveys and related studies.
• Performing inspections of forests or forest nurseries.
• Participating in inventory/planting audits.
• Mapping various forest attributes, conducting geospatial analysis, and producing field maps.
• Supporting management with special projects and workflow process improvements and other duties as assigned.
• Demonstrated competence in forest biometrics through:
o A master’s degree in statistics or forest biometrics, or another closely related science that includes 12
semester or 16 quarter hours of forest biometrics, sampling design and/or statistics coursework; or
o University coursework that includes 12 semester or 16 quarter hours of forest biometrics, sampling design
and/or statistics coursework, and at least two years of experience sampling, developing, implementing and
analyzing forest biomass or carbon inventories.
o Strong knowledge and experience of forest biometrics, statistics, growth and yield models (FVS, FORSEE and
similar), and data management.
• Excellent communication skills – must communicate clearly and concisely in a variety of communication settings and
styles (including in foreign countries and non-English speaking situations). Effectively tailoring the message to the
needs of the audience.
• Strong knowledge forest inventory applications.
• Ability to adapt and adjust to new field situations and/or regulations.
• Quality mensuration services (including field inventory), record-keeping/management, and subsequent data
processing (i.e. volume and biomass/carbon quantification and growth and yield modeling) will be an essential
component for this position.
• Demonstrated knowledge using remote sensing technologies (i.e. ArcMap or other web-based GIS applications) to
evaluate and ascertain detailed forest tract information.
• Experience using GPS and integrating field-acquired data into ArcMap for project documentation and processing.
If you have the following it’s a plus:
• Strong understanding of the voluntary forest carbon market and GHG Programs (VCS, ARB, CAR, ACR, etc.)
• Auditing experience
• Experience developing and implementing timber cruises to meet time and cost constraints
• Experience with programming and development/implementation of forest growth models
• Social and environmental assessment/survey background
• Certified Forester designation through the Society of American Foresters and/or state-registered forester
• Effective document preparation, presentation, and communication skills are required
• Proficient in Microsoft Windows, Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Access; basic knowledge of graphics programs
• Detailed and thorough in completing work tasks
• Thorough knowledge of federal, state and local environmental laws and regulations.
• Thorough knowledge of forestry practices, certifications and voluntary/compliance GHG reductions programs
• Excellent analytical skills
• Excellent organizational and social skills required
• Desire and ability to work cohesively as part of a team of experts
• Travel required (approximately 40%-60%), both domestically and internationally (can include 3-4 weeks in the
field at a time)
Physical Requirements of the Job:
• Field work is conducted in both domestic and international outdoor environments which may include extreme
working conditions and inclement weather conditions.
• Working in diverse domestic and international forests requiring exposure and interactions with extreme terrain,
native wildlife, insects, and various forest conditions throughout the year.
• As needed, lifts, carries, or otherwise moves and positions objects weighing up to 50 pounds.
• Must be able to pass general physical fitness testing.
• May be required to move about to coordinate work.
• Ability to communicate or exchange ideas by means of verbal or written word to impart information to clients or
to the public and to convey detailed instructions to other workers and translators
• Successful candidate(s) must pass a background check and must pass a drug test.
• Must have valid driver license and passport.
• Work requires occasional weekend and/or evening work.
Start Date: Early October 2019
Aster Global is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
About Aster Global Environmental Solutions
Aster Global Environmental Solutions, Inc. (Aster Global), is a world-wide leader in the provision of Forestry Carbon and
GreenHouse Gas (GHG) services. With over 15 years of experience in the GHG emissions/removals and climate change
market and 20+ year of experience in forestry and environmental consulting, the Aster Global team is a dynamic, diverse,
and rapidly growing group of professionals who are known for their expertise, integrity, and customer service.
Aster Global recently purchased the Forestry Carbon and Greenhouse Gas (GHG) Services division from Environmental
Aster Global is accredited by the American National Standards Institute (ANSI) under ISO 14065:2007 for greenhouse gas
validation and verification bodies including: ISO 14064-3:2013, ISO 14065:2007, validation/verification of assertions
related to GHG emission reductions and removals at the project level for Land Use and Forestry (Group 3), verification of
assertions related to GHG emissions and removals at the organizational level, and verifications of assertions related to
GHG emissions for the Carbon Offsetting and Reduction Scheme for International Aviation. Aster Global is also an
approved third-party validator and/or verifier for the Verified Carbon Standard; Climate Action Reserve; American Carbon
Registry; Climate, Community, and Biodiversity Alliance; California Air Resources Board; British Columbia Carbon Registry;
The Climate Registry; CDP; and the British Columbia, Ontario and Saskatchewan Reporting Regulation.
Aster Global offers a comprehensive benefit package consisting of: Medical, Vision, Dental, Life Insurance, Short & Long -
Term Disability Insurance, Retirement Plan, Employee Assistance Program, 12-Paid Holidays per year, Paid Vacation,
Personal Time off Pay, and Bereavement Pay.
Interested candidates should send their resume, writing sample, three references, and anticipated starting salary via email
to Janeen Lutz (HR Manager) firstname.lastname@example.org by 23 September 2019