Under the direction of the Field Ecologist, this position will plan, schedule, and work independently or with a crew on all aspects of on-going field projects related to property management and stewardship of state lands. These projects include, but are not limited to, vegetation surveys, natural community restoration, habitat assessments and inventories for rare and listed flora and fauna, and infrastructure maintenance (e.g., boundary posting). This position requires an ability to travel throughout assigned work area and work irregular hours, including some evenings, week-ends, and occasional work away from home work area for up to 5 days (1-2 times/year). A willingness to work outdoors in extreme weather conditions is required.
- Experience or college-level training in habitat restoration and management, or related natural resource field
- Experience operating and maintaining small engines and other tools commonly used in habitat management work
- Ability to communicate effectively with project supervisors, co-workers, contractors, internal and external partners, and the public
- Bachelor's degree in botany, wildlife ecology, biology, or related natural resources field
- Work experience and certifications for herbicide application, and power tools (especially chainsaws)
- Experience operating heavy equipment
**** Due to the nature of this position the Department of Natural Resources will conduct a comprehensive criminal background check on applicants prior to selection. Pending criminal charge or conviction will not necessarily disqualify an applicant. In compliance with the Wisconsin Fair Employment Act, the DNR does not discriminate on the basis of arrest or conviction record.
Applicants must be legally authorized to work in the United States at the time of hire.
The DNR is an equal opportunity employer that promotes and values diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, religion, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
Submit resume, cover letter and references to:
RE: Job Code 13428
Application materials will be reviewed and the most qualified candidates will be invited for an interview.