Position Summary: The Program Director II develops the capacity of communities, nonprofits and other stakeholders along the Chattahoochee River to create, expand and activate parks, trails and open space along the river. S/he will oversee the creation and implementation of a master plan for the river between Lake Lanier and Chattahoochee Bend State Park, while also overseeing TPL’s Chattahoochee Valley Blueway program. The position raises funds and coordinates project staff, stakeholders and volunteers on specific transactions and capital projects. The Program Director's primary objective is to develop and coordinate a coalition of governmental, nonprofit and other stakeholders working to create a protected and active greenway along the Chattahoochee River.
- 30% Develop and manage a coalition of stakeholders working to create a protected and activated Chattahoochee River greenway from Lake Lanier to Chattahoochee Bend State Park. Initiates and maintains contact with community groups, environmental organizations and appropriate public agencies. Provides ongoing information about projects and activities.
- 30% Develops and maintains working relationships with government and community based organizations to build their capacity; assesses needs, formulates and implements support strategies; provides assistance in organizational development and strategies for ongoing resource stewardship. Plays lead role in identifying and initiating new projects and assessing need for community capacity building, park design development and conservation services necessary to accomplish park projects /transactions.
- 20% Assists communities in accessing or creating funds for land conservation projects. Develops presentations, articles, and training materials to market TPL's park design development and land saving services. Serves as spokesperson at appropriate conferences, meetings and public engagements.
- 10% Develops fundraising strategy; helps cultivate relationships with Chattahoochee funders to provide program support. Assists in facilitating marketing and outreach programs.
- 5% Works with other programs and staff to create strong Chattahoochee projects and programs.
- 5% Other administrative tasks.
- Bachelor's degree or the equivalent in planning, landscape architecture, or related fields
- 4-6 years of experience in community based organizations, especially those focused on public spaces
- Experience working with government and other partners in developing parks and public spaces
- Experience in managing the planning and design functions
- Experience with the grant process; a proven track record of fund raising a plus
- Experience working with marketing
- Ability to work on complex problems where in-depth analysis and judgement is needed to select methods, techniques and evaluation criteria for obtaining results.
- Experience with project management.
- Requires high degree of creativity, visualization, and resourcefulness.
- Excellent oral, written and public speaking skills