The Hike Inn — open year round — is a sustainably designed Georgia State Park facility nestled in the mountains of Chattahoochee National Forest, a secluded location five miles above Amicalola Falls State Park. The Hike Inn is own by the Georgia Department of Natural Resources and operated by Hike Inn, Inc. which is a non-profit 501-c corporation formed solely to operate the Inn.
Georgia's only backcountry lodge offers unique guest experiences with twenty private guest rooms, hot showers, fresh linens and home-cooked meals. The Hike Inn’s mission is to make experiencing nature easy, and help protect it through education and recreation. We serve as a wilderness retreat and learning resource center for individuals, families, and groups that inspires a love for hiking, nature and environmental stewardship.
The Hike Inn is seeking an enthusiastic and courteous professional to assist in the daily operation and management of the inn. A manager with strong customer services experience who can perform and support the Executive Director and General Manager with all operations aspects. Directs and coordinates activities of the staff to operate efficiently, while optimizing guest satisfaction, employee morale, profitability and sustainable practices.
A Bachelor’s degree in hospitality or natural resources with non-profit operations experience preferred, but other degrees will be accepted along with applicable experience. The position requires the ability to live on-site; room with board is provided.
• Supervise and support front office, kitchen, housekeeping, maintenance and education staff.
• Promote positive guest relations through personal involvement, leadership and team development.
• Ensure the highest standards of service, cleanliness, efficiency, teamwork and quality exist.
• Generate daily, weekly, monthly accounting and board reports.
• Operate merchandise sales and manage inventory.
• Coordinate kitchen team in all aspects of food service including facilitating training.
• Oversee maintenance projects; completing tasks on budget and meeting project deadlines.
• Conduct facility tours focusing on green building, LEED certification and sustainability.
• Develop and present educational programs for guests.
• Write and publish content for monthly newsletter and social media.
• Promote the Hike Inn’s mission of conservation of Georgia’s natural resources through education and recreation.
• Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college in natural science, environmental education, hospitality, or management related field.
• Administrative and leadership abilities with proven accomplishments managing projects and coordinating people to achieve results. Must have strong organizational and team-building skills; must be able to manage multiple projects, keep accurate records, work efficiently and effectively without direct supervision as well as work well with others.
• Exhibit knowledge of ecology, natural history, and conservation issues.
• Demonstrate outdoor recreation skills and experience.
• Experience in education and/or public speaking.
• Strong communication skills with ability to relate to diverse groups of people, and ability to talk with co-workers and work through any problems or misunderstandings.
• A high degree of initiative and motivation, as well as innovative and creative problem solving skills when working independently.
• The position requires the employee to live on site during their work week; must be willing to have flexible schedule hours.
• Proficient with computers and Word, Publisher, PowerPoint, and Excel.
• Have current CPR and First Aid certifications or willingness to complete training shortly after being hired.
• Ability to perform physically challenging work in the outdoors and in all weather conditions; must be able to hike 5 miles
• Health insurance supplement of $150 per month after three months
• IRA investment plan with up to 3% matching funds available after three months
• Private room and board with all utilities included ($900/month value); common living areas are shared with other staff members; the selected candidate is required to live on site; no dependents or pets.
Submit a cover letter detailing interest in the position with relevant experience and qualifications, and a resume with three professional references to: Matt Mimbs, Len Foote Hike Inn General Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org
We will conduct phone interviews with qualified applicants. Strong candidates will be invited to the Hike Inn for a working interview (one or two-night stay). We will have you help the staff with the daily guest services routine. This will give candidates a good sense of who we are, what we do and how you may best complement and support the Hike Inn team in meeting our mission.
The Hike Inn is a drug free workplace. The final candidate will be required to complete and pass a pre-employment background check and drug test.
For more information, visit www.hike-inn.com