Scope: The area of management includes roughly 350,000 acres of timberlands located across the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Management is implemented to reduce risk and maximize investor returns while maintaining compliance with HFM’s stewardship procedures and a safe work environment. Activities include timber marketing, harvesting administration, silviculture, protection of assets and other opportunistic sources of returns compatible with HTRG objectives. Conformance with Commercial Forest laws and conservation easements on the properties.
- Ensure client fiduciary obligations are maintained.
- Maintain a safe working environment; enthusiastically and proactively promote safety among HFM teams, contractors, recreation users and visitors.
- Plan and implement timber marketing, sales and contract oversight in the area in coordination with property consultants.
- Plan and implement all silviculture activities in the area in conjunction with the larger HFM team efforts across the HTRG ownerships.
- Plan and implement BMP compliant road construction and maintenance.
- Plan and secure non-timber revenue sources for client properties in alignment with HTRG objectives including recreation revenues, retail land sales, surface use revenue and other opportunistic revenue sources.
- Provide inputs into forest management planning, both long term and short term for areas under management, including quarterly forecasts, annual budgets, long term plans and comprehensive management plans. Support and conduct quarterly reporting including status commentary and updates as scheduled and requested.
- Service the continuous information and communication needs of multiple teams based in multiple regions.
- Implement internal BMP and forest certification procedures and support and participate in audits.
- Maintain positive and proactive stakeholder relationships.
- Ensure compliance with Manulife, Hancock Natural Resource Group, and HFM policies and procedures. Ensure compliance with all federal, state, and local laws.
- Other responsibilities that may be assigned from time to time.
Skill Sets Required
- Good written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong propensity to work in a team environment.
- Good computer and analytical skills.
- Good working knowledge of GIS.
- Knowledgeable of timberland accounting, land records, and forest management.
- Knowledgeable in safety related management.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Forestry or equivalent experience is required.
- Graduate degree in forestry, wildlife or related discipline is highly desirable.
- Minimum of 2 years forest management and forest operations experience desirable.
- Northern hardwood timber harvesting and silviculture experience preferred.
- Must be team player and self-motivated.
- Must have excellent relationship, interpersonal and communication skills.
- Strong computer, GIS, and analytical skills.
- Client service oriented.