Kiawah Island Community Association is searching for an Aquatic Biologist Technician to assist in all aspects of the mangement and aesthetic maintenance of the lake system on Kiawah Island. This encompasses 119 separate lakes totaling 360 surface acres with activities including water quality monitoring, aquatic plant control using biological, physical, and chemical means, and lake edge maintenance using hand tools and mechanized equipment. This position will run through the summer months and report directly to the Lakes Management Supervisor.
- Become familiar with the Lake numbering system.
- Weekly monitoring of water quality, water levels and visual inspection of lake system.
- Trim lake edges as needed to maintain aesthetics.
- Collect water, fish, and crab samples for analysis.
- Treat lakes for undesirable aquatic plants and algae.
- Inspect and maintain water control structures.
- Collect and dispose of any fish or animals that are found dead in the lake system.
- Assist with nuisance wildlife and wildlife research, including alligators.
- Assist with mosquito abatement activities i.e., identifying mosquito-breeding areas, perform weekly monitoring of mosquito populations through counts around the island, and assist as needed.
Solid background in basic science with an understanding of biological processes and the ability to identify of plants and animals.
Knowledge of water quality management, testing, and result evaluation.
Experience with boat operation and familiarity with outboard motors.
Landscape maintenance experience i.e. operating brush cutters and chain saws.
Some knowledge of small engine equipment maintenance.
Computer experience using word processing, spreadsheet, database, and GIS software.
Ability to follow directions as given, and offer ideas and solutions for improved productivity.
Good degree of initiative and attention to detail and quality.
Good understanding of importance of punctuality and minimum absenteeism.
Flexibility to work alternating hours if needed.
Must be 18 years of age or older.
Kiawah Island Community Association is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Pre-Employment substance screening and background check are required.
Email email@example.com your resume or apply through Indeed.