Skip to main content

History of Warnell

The oldest existing southern forestry school was established in 1906 through an endowment by George Foster Peabody and was originally called the George Foster Peabody School of Forestry.

cover of invitation to forestry school inauguration 1906

Over the years, the University of Georgia's School of Forest Resources has become more sophisticated and respected. A regional and National frontrunner, the School is ideally situated, offering easy access to the three major provinces of the Southeast: the coastal plains, the piedmont, and the mountains. Complex demands were made on the profession, requiring greater competence of forest resource managers and scientists. To ensure that future graduates are better prepared to meet the diverse challenges they will face, the school was renamed The School of Forest Resources and designated as a professional unit in 1971, when the curriculum was redesigned.

 

 

In 1991, the School of Forest Resources was dedicated in honor of the late Daniel B. Warnell.

daniel b warnell oil painting

Mr. Warnell was a native Georgian who was involved in the management of banking, farming, and timber enterprises. He served in the Georgia House of Representatives from 1931 to 1937 and in the Georgia Senate from 1937 to 1939. As a state legislator, Mr. Warnell made significant contributions in rural development, public education, public transportation, and conservation of natural resources.

To better reflect its expanding mission of teaching, research and outreach, the school became the  Daniel Brooks Warnell School of Forestry and Natural Resources in its centennial year, 2006.

Then and Now

student on steps about 1910field camp students 2014man with fox 1956student with boarman in lab settingresearcher in labmen in foreststudent in forestman with compassman with compass