Enrollment at Warnell has remained steady over the past few years, slightly lower than the 10-year average of 517 students. A relatively new degree, Natural Resource Management and Sustainability, is now primed for growth within its four areas of emphasis: Community Forestry and Arboriculture, Geospatial Information Science, and Water and Soil Resources.
I chose Parks, Recreation, and Tourism Management because of my love for the outdoors. Throughout my life, I have been shaped by many outdoorsmen into the person I am today. I hope to give that same guidance to others throughout my career.
For my research, I worked in Northeast Mexico with an endangered species, the Mexican longnose bat. I'm working with local communities to do bat conservation that supports the species and also supports the people and their livelihoods.
in Graduate Assistantships
in Research Expenditures
New Degree Program Addresses Forestry Need
Starting this past fall, Warnell began offering classes in a new degree program: Community Forestry and Arboriculture. This program addresses a growing need among municipalities, utility companies and the private sector for professionals skilled in the care of the urban tree canopy.
Warnell's outreach programs were honored with the Comprehensive Family Forest Education Award, which recognizes the innovative and comprehensive work our outreach faculty do with family-owned forestland.
A Range of Expertise
Faculty at Warnell represent a range of disciplines and partnerships among state and federal agencies, all working together in pursuit of greater knoweldge and stewardship of our natural resources. Faculty include tenured/tenure-track researchers as well as research scientists, lecturers, and Cooperative Unit faculty.
Thank you Donors!
We are grateful for our supporters for their donations over the past fiscal year (July 1, 2018-June 30, 2019).
- Mr. Dennis L. Carey and Mrs. Sara K. Carey
- Mr. James L. Gillis Jr. Estate
- Mr. Jeffrey B. Jordan and Ms. Myla M. Jordan
- Mr. Steve C. Keadle and Mrs. Sandra Keadle
- John and Kay Parker
- Resource Management Service, LLC
$10,000 - $24,999
- AgFirst Farm Credit Bank
- Mr. and Mrs. W. R. Allen
- Mr. and Mrs. John E. Anderson
- Mr. Robert F. Burgin III
- Burgin Timberland Management, LLC
- Eversheds Sutherland LLP
- First American Title Insurance Company
- Ms. Helen H. Fosgate
- Georgia Forestry Association, Inc.
- Dean Dale Greene and Dr. Jeanna Wilson
- Mrs. Carol Schirmer Haeussler
- Hancock Natural Resource Group
- International Forest Company
- Mr. Tom E. Johnson III and Mrs. Diane M. Johnson
- Mr. Clinton D. McNeal and Ms. Alexandra N. McNeal
- Mr. Robert W. Pollard Jr.
- Pollard Lumber Co., Inc.
- Prudential Financial
- Mr. Miles A. Stone and Mrs. Teresa W. Stone
- Superior Pine Products Company
- The Forestland Group, LLC
- The Frank W. Norris Foundation
- Timberland Investment Resources
- Mr. Andres C. Villegas and Ms. Leigh Villegas
“The expenditure of external research dollars is tightly constrained, and sometimes our graduate students need support to further their work and education that does not fit under external grant contracts. The resources provided through the Dennis and Sara Carey Distinguished Professorship help my lab run more efficiently and my students extend the boundaries of their research. I am very honored to be selected as the first Dennis and Sara Carey Distinguished Professor of Forestry and Natural Resources.”
Robert J. Cooper, Dennis and Sara Carey Distinguished Professor in Forestry and Natural ResourcesFor more information about opportunities for giving at Warnell, please email Bridget Harden or call 706-542-6522.
$5,000 – $9,999
- dams and Reese LLP
- AGCO Corporation
- American Chestnut Foundation
- American Fisheries Society
- Arborgen, Inc.
- Mr. Robert A. Bartlett Jr. and Mrs. Cathleen M. Bartlett
- Mr. Barry L. Beers and Mrs. Naomi N. Beers
- Campbell Global Forest & Natural Resource Investments
- Experiment.com Inc.
- F & W Forestry Services, Inc.
- Forest Investment Associates L.P.
- Forest Resource Consultants, Inc.
- Forisk Consulting, LLC
- Frazier & Deeter LLC
- Mr. Ralph E. Hall II
- Mr. Leonard D. Hogan Sr.
- Jamestown LP
- Jones Lang LaSalle
- Landmart.com LLC
- Landvest, Inc.
- Mr. Marion C. Lincoln and Ms. Erin A. Lincoln
- LP Building Products
- Dr. and Mrs. Arnett C. Mace Jr.
- Dr. Brooks C. Mendell and Dr. Elizabeth E. Mendell
- Nutter & Associates Inc.
- Orbis GIS Orbis, Inc.
- RSM US LLP
- Smith, Gambrell & Russell, LLP
- William B. and Elisabeth E. Southern
- Stafford Timberland
- The Molpus Company
- Mr. Marshall D. Thomas and Mrs. Mariruth Thomas
- Twin Rivers Land and Timber
- Uruguay XXI
- Dr. Alfred Viola and Mrs. Joy Viola
- WestRock Company
- Weyerhaeuser Company
$1,500 – $4,999
- AgSouth Farm Credit, ACA
- Mr. James I. Alfriend and Ms. Ellen Alfriend
- American Forest Management, Inc.
- Mr. Earl D. Barrs and Mrs. Wanda Taylor Barrs
- Mr. Peter S. Bischoff
- Dr. Bronson Bullock
- CatchMark Timber Trust
- Conservation Forestry LLC
- Coosa Valley Chapter 519 Trout Unlimited
- Mr. Smith Dolliver Jr. and Mrs. Sharon Dolliver
- Mr. Richard O. Fitzgerald
- Dr. Mark Ford and Ms. Jane Rodrigue
- Forest Landowners Association, Inc.
- Mr. Kevin C. Fosgate and Ms. Laura S. Fosgate
- Georgia Council of Trout Unlimited
- Georgia Division Society of American Foresters
- Georgia Power Foundation, Inc.
- Georgia-Pacific LLC
- Mr. Robert Glasscock and Mrs. Brenda Glasscock
- Graphic Packaging International, Inc.
- Dr. Gary T. Green and Mrs. Kimberly D. Green
- Green Diamond Resource Company
- Mr. Richard B. Haddock and Ms. Amy Haddock
- Hancock Forest Management Inc.
- Little Springs Farm LLC
- Mr. Garrett D. Mack and Ms. Kelley A. Mack
- Dr. J. Michael Meyers and Mrs. June R. Meyers
- National Wild Turkey Federation, Inc.
- North Georgia Timber, LLC
- Mrs. Mary J. Olszewski
- Outdoor Underwriters, Inc.
- Mr. James O. Reed
- Roger Dickie Enterprises
- Schulenburg Consulting Corporation
- Southern Land Exchange LLC
- Mr. Frederick T. Stimpson III and Ms. Alicia Snyder
- Mr. Charles M. Stripling III and Mrs. Patricia Hackney Stripling
- Mrs. Shelba Morris Taylor
- Mr. Scot W. Teverino and Mrs. Elizabeth J. Teverino
- The Forest Landowners Foundation
- The Thomas T. & Bernice F. Irvin Foundation, Inc.
- Thompson Hine, LLP
- Fred and Kay Warnell
- West Fraser Inc.
The Heritage Society honors alumni and friends who make a documented bequest in a will or other planned gift to UGA. These gifts have a substantial effect on the University and Warnell for years to come, and help secure our future.
- Earl D. Barrs and Wanda Taylor Barrs
- John T. Brumby Jr.*
- Carolyn Warnell Bryan*
- Jim and Lyra Cobb
- LCDR Demetrius Cox
- Smith and Sharon Nix Dolliver
- Emile Jacob Fried*
- James L. Gillis Jr.*
- Thomas B. Hankinson*
- Mr. Thomas C. Harden and Mrs. Bridget B. Harden
- Jimmie T. Hardy*
- Nellie S. Herringdine*
- Frances O. Hopkins*
- Mr. and Mrs. Robert Lee Izlar
- James G. Boswell Foundation Trust
- Rex N. Johnson
- Larry and Beverly Lackey
- Harley Langdale Jr.*
- Jon and Jo Ann Liles
- Dr. J. Michael and Mrs. June R. Meyers
- Professor Archie E. Patterson*
- Dr. and Mrs. Richard L. Porterfield
- Richard and Rhonda Ramey
- William T. Ray*
- Andrew and Emily Saunders
- Joe M. Stanford and Anna Grace Stanford*
- David A. and Janet K. Terrell
- Geoffrey David Terrell
- Alfred and Joy Viola
- Anna Dorothy Warnell*
- Joseph Eugene Wyatt*
The following students invested in Warnell through a Senior Signature or a direct gift. Established in 1991, the Senior Signature plaque honors graduating students who make a difference by donating at least $50 to the University.
- Lanier Grace Forster
- Alexia Jeanelle Goodman
- Lora Kelly Haas
- Margaret Dally Hubbard
- Mallory Lynn Pitelka
- Zachary Ryan Szemborski
- Weiyi Zhang
- Yosselin Morelia Aparicio
- Laura Elisabeth Banister
- Camille Lee Bennett
- Courtney Ashlee Camp
- Seth McKinley Cook
- William Alexander Fox
- Kenna McKay Frierson
- Shannon Galina Glosenger-Thrasher
- Jacob Lloyd Higgins
- Emma Rose Houpt
- Briana Gabrielle Hutcherson
- Daniel Anthony Jones
- Morgan Marie Manning
- Bethany Laurel McDaniel
- Matthew Richard Portwood
- Jerry Clayton Reeves, Jr.
- Héctor Ivan Restrepo
- Allison Belle Sheeks
- Courtnie Diane Vickery
- Benjamin Mark Williams
Alumni and Donor Impact
The Harley Langdale Jr. Center for Forest Business Benefit Golf Tournament presented by Weyerhaeuser raised $76,000 to support graduate assistantships and travel. The event took place at The Georgia Club.
Warnell celebrated two room namings last fall. Room 4-301, the W.R. Allen Conference Room, was dedicated in honor of Wayne (BSFR ’79, JD ’92) and Cindy Allen. And, Room 4-517 is now the Lincoln Family Classroom, in honor of Erin (BSFR ’08) and Chad (BSFR ’03, MS ’08) Lincoln.
Our Young Alumni Committee raised $62,000 through the annual Parker Memorial Golf Tournament, which took place last fall at the UGA Golf Course during UGA’s Homecoming Weekend.
Total giving for FY19 (July 1, 2018-June 30, 2019)
Our Brightest Stars
Thanks to our alumni and friends who serve Warnell through our advisory boards and committees.
Alumni Steering Committee
This 13-member committee supports events, programs and fundraising initiatives for Warnell. Members serve three-year terms and assist with planning events, advise on staying engaged with other alumni, and make nominations for UGA’s Bulldog 100, 40 Under 40 and other awards.
- Jim Anderson (BSFR ’91)
- Gary Capes (BSFR ’80)
- Tina Johannsen (BSFR ’95, MS ’98)
- Amanda Lang (BSFR ’05, MS ’08)
- Lynn Lewis (BSFR ’95, MS ’99)
- Chad Lincoln (BSFR ’03, MS ’05)
- Brian Murphy (MS ’93), past chair
- Matt Owens (MFR ’06)
- Brian Stone (BSFR ’99, MFR ’01)
- Sharon Swagger (BSFR ’04, MS ’07), chair-elect
- Fred Warnell (BSFR ’71), chair
- Brian Simmons (BSFR ’93)
Young Alumni Committee
This group comprises 10 alumni who all graduated in the past 10 years. Members serve three-year terms to support school activities and encourage alumni participation, including the annual Parker Memorial Golf Tournament each fall and the Sporting Clays Tournament each spring.
- Al Bayme (BBA ’06, MFR ’09)
- Jase Brooks (MFR ’15)
- Whitney Della Torre (AB ’10, MS ’13), chair
- Charles S. Evans (BSFR ’12, MS ’15)
- Krisha Faw (MNR ’17)
- Gordon Grizzle (BSFR ’13)
- Michael Ransom (BSFR ’10), past chair
- Harry Sanders (BSFR ’14), chair-elect
- Jackie Sherry (BSFR ’11, MNR ’14)
- Cade Warner (MFR ’14)
- Carter Coe (MFR ’11)
- Cory Dukes (BSFR ’10, MS ’12)
- Grant Harvey (BSFR ’05)
- Garrett Mack (BSFR ’09, MFR ’11)
- Clint McNeal (BSFR ’12)
- Elizabeth Miller (BSFR ’10, MS ’13)
Dean’s Advisory Board
Launched in 2017 by Dean Dale Greene, this group works alongside our two alumni committees with a specific focus on strategic planning and networking across disciplines to support private giving to the school.
- Steve Brown (Weyerhaeuser)
- Dan Forster (Archery Trade Association), chair elect
- Joe Hamilton (Quality Deer Management Association)
- Steve Johnston (Bartlett Tree Experts)
- Becky Kelley (Stone Mountain Park, retired)
- Patrick O’Rouke (Georgia Power)
- Erin Lincoln (Tetra Tech), past chair
- Brian Murphy (Quality Deer Management Association)
- Wade Nutter (Nutter & Associates)
- Michael Ransom (Southern Timber Solutions)
- Tommy Sasser (Recreational Community Consultants), chair
- Mark Williams (Georgia Department of Natural Resources)
- Chuck Williams (Georgia Forestry Commission)