The Warnell School of Forestry and Natural Resources supports the University of Georgia’s core values with respect to diversity and inclusion. We strive to create an environment of acceptance and respect in which all students, faculty, staff, and visitors feel welcomed and included. Our vision is of a School that is diverse, inclusive, and welcoming; in which students, staff, and faculty members enjoy equal access to opportunities; and where diversity is celebrated in our teaching, research, and outreach.
Warnell is working to meet these goals though more inclusive curricula, certificate training for staff and faculty, and efforts of the Warnell Diversity Committee.
In October 2020 we welcomed Dr. Carolyn Finney as part of the UGA Signature Lecture Series. Titled "What's Race Got to do With It? Christian Cooper, John Muir, and the Nature of Green Space," Finney gave us some wonderful insights into the great outdoors and who is welcomed there. Check out her presentation if you haven't seen it yet!
The Mission of the Diversity Committee is to assist the Warnell School of Forestry and Natural Resources in achieving its vision of diversity, equity, and inclusion. We believe that the promotion of a diverse, inclusive, and welcoming environment is a responsibility shared by each member of the School community. The role of the Diversity Committee is to help lead this effort. We will accomplish this by:
- Identifying and supporting opportunities to enhance diversity in education, teaching, and research
- Generating and providing information to help monitor trends related to diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Promoting training and learning opportunities for students, faculty, and staff
- Identifying resources that can help to foster a diverse, equitable, inclusive, and welcoming environment
- Providing recognition for existing efforts that support the diversity, equity, and inclusion vision
- Acting as a resource for inquiries and problem-solving related to diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Working with existing committees and processes to support actions that help us reach this vision
2020 – 2021 Committee Membership
|Matt Head (chair)||Michel Kohl||Kate deDufour|
|Elizabeth McCarty||Michelle Scott||Jesse Abrams|
|Holly Campbell||Kristen Morales||Mikell Gleason|
|Emma Kate Beckwith||Undergraduate Representative|
|Carmen Candal||Graduate Representative|
|Shawn DeRome||Young Alumni Committee Representative|
|Sharon Swagger||Alumni Steering Committee Representative|
This committee is set by the dean each year and meets regularly throughout the semester. Please reach out to our chair to give any suggestions or feedback about the diversity committee. Please use our anonymous feedback survey to give suggestions or feedback about the climate at Warnell.
Warnell is committed to providing an inclusive environment that reinforces that everyone belongs in the great outdoors. The following organizations and student groups align with that goal; please seek them out for more information.
- The UGA Minorities in Agriculture, Natural Resources and Related Sciences (MANRRS) Club is open to all students and professionals interested in promoting diversity and inclusion in agriculture, natural resources, and related sciences.
- The National Parks Service Greening youth Foundation, which promotes, which offers career experiences for youth from diverse backgrounds
- The U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service is committed to the outreach and recruitment of a highly qualified, diverse, and inclusive workforce to support its conservation mission.
- The Society of American Foresters' work to promote diversity and inclusion within its field.
- There are also numerous undergraduate and graduate opportunities focused on increasing the number of minority scientists in the natural resources and science fields.